Dental Cleanings for a Healthy Smile
A healthy smile is more than just a sign of good oral hygiene; it can also be a reflection of your overall well-being. One of the key pillars of maintaining oral health is regular dental cleanings. These routine procedures offered at Vero Beach Dental Care by our Vero Beach, FL, dentist, Dr. Morgan Clay, go beyond just polishing your teeth — they play a vital role in preventing dental issues and ensuring a radiant smile.
Call (772) 770-2225 to schedule your routine dental exam and cleaning at Vero Beach Dental Care!
What Is Dental Cleaning?
Dental cleaning, also known as dental prophylaxis, is a professional oral hygiene procedure performed by our Vero Beach dentist. During this process, our experienced dental hygienists thoroughly cleans your teeth and gums, removing built-up plaque and tartar that cannot be removed by regular brushing and flossing alone.
Benefits of Dental Cleanings
- Preventing Gum Disease: Regular cleanings can help prevent gingivitis and more advanced stages of gum disease.
- Cavity Prevention: Cleaning removes plaque, which is a major contributor to tooth decay.
- Fresh Breath: Removing bacteria and tartar helps combat bad breath.
- Early Detection: Dental cleanings allow for the early detection of potential dental issues, such as cavities, oral cancer, or gum disease.
- Brighter Smile: Polishing during the procedure can make your teeth appear brighter and cleaner.
Dental Cleanings Process
- Assessment: Our Vero Beach dentist will assess your oral health, checking for any visible issues or concerns.
- Plaque and Tartar Removal: Using specialized tools, a member of our team will carefully remove plaque and tartar from your teeth and along the gumline.
- Cleaning and Polishing: After plaque and tartar removal, your teeth will be professionally cleaned and polished to remove surface stains.
- Fluoride Treatment (optional): Our experienced dental team offers fluoride treatment to strengthen tooth enamel.
- Final Inspection: Dr. Clay will perform a final inspection to ensure your teeth and gums are healthy.
Frequently Asked Questions
Dental cleanings aren’t painful. During a dental cleaning, a dental professional, such as a dental hygienist, uses specialized tools to remove plaque and tartar from your teeth and gums. While you may experience some mild discomfort or sensitivity, especially if you have sensitive gums or teeth, the procedure is generally designed to be gentle for patients of all ages.
Dental cleanings primarily focus on the removal of plaque and tartar buildup and the prevention of oral health issues like gum disease and cavities. They’re not specifically designed for teeth whitening purposes. If you’re looking for a significant improvement in the whiteness of your teeth, professional teeth whitening treatments are a more effective, targeted solution.
Many dental insurance plans cover dental cleanings as part of their preventive care coverage. Preventive care, which includes services like dental cleanings, check-ups, and X-rays, is typically covered to encourage people to maintain good oral health and catch any potential issues early.However, the extent of coverage and the frequency of covered cleanings can vary depending on your specific dental insurance plan.
On average, a standard dental cleaning appointment usually takes about 45 minutes to an hour. However, the duration of a dental cleaning appointment can vary depending on several factors, including the individual’s oral health, the presence of any specific dental issues, and the thoroughness of the cleaning required.